Monday, February 04, 2008

Update and Thanks for the Stories

Dad's condition continues to worsen, as expected. He is comfortable and not in pain. Pam's niece was home recently for over a week to do the night shift to give Pam and Suzie a break. Thanks from everyone, Laura.

We appreciate all of the stories that you have emailed. Keep them coming if you have them. I have been sharing them with the rest of the family and they have really been fun to read. Some made us laugh and others brought a tear to hear how kind he was. I am going to share a couple of the stories that show the different sides of Dad.

From Jan Shepard:

"I clearly remember one Sunday morning when I still worked in Paeds. and had a small child (Christopher) who believe it or not also had a brain tumor. Barry came in to make his rounds and asked why Christopher was crying so. I told him all he wanted was a banana and apparently, having called dietary, there were none in the hospital that morning. Barry did not say a word. However about 30 minutes later Barry turned back up after going out to a store to buy bananas for Christopher. I found him in beside Christopher's crib where he was feeding him bananas and Christopher was nothing but smiles and banana mush. I cried at his love and generosity and told that story many times after."


From Jean Tingley:

"When Barry and I were both candidates in the 2003 election, it was then that I got to know him as a friend and really was thankful for his sense of humour. Anyone who is on the campaign trail definitely needs a sense of humour just to endure the rigorous schedule. I'm sure Barry remembers how great it was when we finally got rotated to the back row on the stage, far away from the prying eyes of the audience and he would let loose with his comments that had us in fits of laughter. Somehow, losing didn't matter because we really enjoyed the time we all spent together thanks to his sense of humour.

Near the end of the campaign I got really run down and my mouth broke out in cold sores and my bottom lip had a huge crack on it. The last night we were standing in line waiting to be announced to go on stage and Barry was making his usual crazy comments. Everytime I started to laugh at him it caused the crack on my lip to open and bleed. I finally told him to leave me alone because everytime he made me laugh my crack opened. He looked me right in the eye and said 'Wish I had known you when you were 16!' A classic Barry moment. "


From Sheila Molyneaux:

"I was told a story about the very proper head nurse on Unit 2 surgical unit at the QEH (Miss Charbelle? I think). One day, Barry sauntered to the nursing station and went up to Miss Charbelle, handed her sweater to her and said "you forgot this at my place last night". As the story was told, Miss C was mortified."

As Dad would say: "Don't wait until there is a crisis to appreciate your friends and loved ones. You know how much you appreciate a hug. So do they. We are very lucky to have each other. Show it."

Jamie

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hugs and kisses to you dear Barry, Pam, Suz, Shane and everyone else who is out there supporting each other! Thanks Jame for the update. It really helps when we can't be there. And not too surprising, the stories are great. It's very refreshing to laugh through wet cheeks!! Can we read some more when you get a chance? Lots of love and hugs to you Barry. Love from Mo, Mike and the kids. xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad for an update..

I miss everyone, and it's nice to hear all the great things everyone has to say about B, it reminds me of how great of a person he is.

Love ya's,
Morgan

11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the update Jamie, and thank you so much for sharing some of the 'stories'. Hope you will decide to send more.

All of us bloggers, especially his patients, who knew Barry, but not his family, felt somehow closer to him in his present situation, by being able to read and send best wishes and prayers. The blog has been so 'silent' lately, and this 'connection' was greatly missed.

Hugs to all of you, and especially for Barry. Mo, don't know you, but think of you so often, and sending you lots of hugs. I hope it helps to know how much Barry is respected and loved by so many.

1:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey. Jamie Thanks for the update, i check the blog ever other day and miss reading the messages.we all understand however, how busy things can be.my thoughts and prayer are always with you guys.Big Dog is one of a kind,as we can read in these great stories, it doesn't suprize me at all. I have been one of the very Lucky people to be on the inSide seeing his kindness first hand. Loveya

The Golfer

7:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paul A. Price
During my internship Barry was my senior resident in Ortho. On saturday mornings at 0700 we had what I called "The Parade". Commencing with Staffman ("Peach" Petrie, "The Rose" Yabsley etc.) followed by resident intern med students physio and nursing we'd visit each and every bedside and then a grilling/discussion.

When passing another service in the hall, resplendent in our white coats, Barry would invariably salute them and say "Were # 1!)

The official salute required the central digit (either hand).

I have always held great love and respect for him. -Paul

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have known Barry for a good number of years - mostly through
harness racing where he was always making jokes and having a great time. I enjoyed his antics so much, and wish you strength to get through the coming months.

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can't type but i can ramble on as barry would point out from time to time. as a mam who has buried a wife and a son i am amaised at the amount of profound saddness i am dealing with these last two days.if i am like this i can only imagine the guys like jack and bob and john and terry and neil etc.are feeling not to mention danny and mike and terry and others who have had the chance to be closer over the last few weeks.to all these folks and to the family i am so sorry for this loss.FAMILY i hope this is a suitable place and time for my story.it has been retold in my mind over and over for months. NICE RECENT MEMORY twice this summer i was out on a bike keeping a eye on my olivia and i had two visits with barry.he told me how much he was enjoying his new life style.get up,read the paper or a book,go to the track with Dan,come home and cut the grass or read or sit in the back and wait for his Pam to come home.over gatoraids the last time he admitted it seemed strange to be so content with this thing growing in my head but i am.sure made it hard to complain about my sore toe or sore elbow.barry finished his drink and told me to take off he had to get the grass finished.i was in no rush to leave. BIG MOMENT FOR ME about 12 years ago we were sitting on the deck looking up the 18 hole when the hospital called. a guy from rustico had fallen off his roof and broken his elbow.i mentioned how much i had enjoyed anatomy at DAL and how i had enjoyed watching a bit of surgery at the VG in 1973ish.barry made a phone call and got the ok for me to observe.big thrill for me.after we got dressed for the surgery barry walked up to the gentleman on the gurney in the hallway and said and i quote "i hear you have been trying to get over the flu" that helped to relax a very nervous dentist. MY POOR MOMENT one night many years ago david got a puck in the mouth in amherst ns i think and was now in the bus on the way home.i was on call but by 10pm i turned the beeper off and had drink or two or three.it is not the same as being n MD on call.barry called me from the bus asking what should be done. should he call david's dentist.it sounded like david had some cuts that needed closing first so i suggested the hospital first and the teeth can wait. i was likely rightbut it has haunted me since that day that i was not available for barry and david and i never told barry why. typical of barry i guess we never spoke of this night but typical of me i carry it around in my mind .i hope these stories are ok in this place. i'll be over to say goodbye a bit later DR.LING thanks for everything

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am an orthopaedic resident in Kingston, ON canada, but grew up and chronically return to (and will hopefully return, knock on wood) back home in Nova Scotia or PEI to work. I heard through the orthopaedic vine about Dr Ling. I never knew him, met him or had the pleasure of getting my favorite ward salute from him, but, i have read almost every word of this blog. It tore my heart out at times, but it really taught me a lot and left me with an incredible respect and thankful heart for having read Dr Lings (and others') words. Though i never met Dr Ling, i can say he has taught me a lot with his blog. (and seeing how deeply he affected people by reading their posts and responses)

It is kind of wierd, maybe, but thank you Dr Ling, Pam, Suz, Shane and everyone for this blog. You have forever changed me as a person...how i will see patients, and myself.

As long as i am practicing and alive i will never forget neither Dr Ling nor his incredible story.

God bless.

Josh Mayich

10:21 PM  
Anonymous グリー said...

今年のクリスマスも後少しですね。グリー内でもクリスマスに備えて異性と交流を持つコミュニティが活発で、自分も今年のクリスマスにお陰で間に合いました!!みなさんもイブを一人で過ごさなくても良いように、グリーで異性をGETしよう

5:17 PM  
Anonymous プチ家出 said...

冬休みを利用してのプチ家出中の少女が集う家出掲示板登場!困っている彼女達を救えるのはアナタしかいません。もちろん救ってあげた貴方の好きなようにして下さい。救ってもらった負い目が有るから性奴隷も思いのまま

10:41 PM  
Anonymous ゲイ said...

ゲイにも出会いをする権利はあるのです。もちろんノーマルの方でも興味本位で登録可能ですよ、きっと女性を忘れさせてくれる位の、快楽が体験できるでしょう。専門の掲示板を無料で使ってみませんか

10:20 PM  
Anonymous ハッピーメール said...

ハッピーメールフレンド掲示板でパートナー探し!アナタの理想のメル友、恋人がきっと見つかる。ここで見付けれない人はいないと口コミでも噂に成るぐらいの高評判のサイトですよ

10:24 PM  
Anonymous facebook said...

facebookでは様々な出会いや新たな仲間を探すことができる出会いのソーシャルネットワークサービスです。facebookを通じて新しい出会いをたくさん見つけましょう。あなたにぴったりの人と出会えるはず!

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home